Training and Support
We provide Examiners and Moderators with extensive training and support from the first day of appointment to the day examination results are issued.
Our support package includes:
- An introductory guide for new Examiners and Moderators – this includes information about the training conference, script marking and logistics
- Our annual Examiner / Moderator training conference designed specifically for your qualification
- Additional tailored training materials which will be issued at the conference
- Scripts and detailed mark schemes are sent to you immediately after the examination so you can familiarise yourself thoroughly with the content before the conference. If you have any questions or issues at all, you are encouraged to discuss these at the conference
- A stationery pack including labels, instruction booklet and additional materials
- A designated Team Leader and/or Principal Examiner/Moderator who will guide you through the process
- Support via telephone and email with our experienced Appointees team and your designated Team Leader and/or Principal Examiner/Moderator
- Guidance on how to use our Electronic Marking Input System (EMI)
About the conference
We believe that for every subject, there should be a face-to-face conference for new and returning Examiners to give you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have and also familiarise yourself with this year's assessment. The training conference is mandatory to attend and is led by our Subject Officer and Principal Examiner/Moderator.
The conference is usually held in Cardiff at the weekend after the examination has taken place. You will be paid a fee to attend the conference and your travel expenses will also be covered. Accommodation may also be covered where appropriate (terms and conditions apply).
At the conference, you will gain a thorough understanding of the question paper and mark scheme, work through various example scripts to learn how to apply the mark scheme and also, receive feedback from your Team Leader and/or Principal to improve your assessment skills.
Should you have any questions, you are encouraged to contact our Appointees team, your designated Team Leader and/or Principal. You will be introduced to your Team Leader and Principal Examiner/Moderator at the training conference and will work together throughout the day.
After the conference
The marking of scripts starts immediately after the conference for a duration of approximately 3 weeks. You will be asked to submit a preliminary sample of 10 marked scripts to your Team Leader or Principal Examiner/Moderator shortly after the conference for review. These will be reviewed and feedback will be provided to you before you continue to mark.
We ask that you submit a second sample of 100 scripts half way through the assessment process and we will randomly select 25 scripts from within this sample to review. This helps us to maintain our high quality of marking.
Please view the Frequently Asked Questions for further information.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 029 2026 5457. Please note, our office hours are 9am–5pm Monday to Friday.