WJEC and its Customers
We are a leading awarding organisation providing assessment, training and educational resources in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Our mission is to provide high quality public qualifications, resources and services that will assist schools and colleges in enabling learners to fulfil their potential.
As an awarding body, our customers are examination centres (schools and colleges) entering candidates for our qualifications.
We are registered charity and a company limited by guarantee.
- To provide efficient, well-managed and cost-effective examinations services
- To be responsive to our customers
- To comply with regulatory requirements
- To improve the quality of our services through ongoing evaluation
- To implement a comprehensive bilingual policy
To meet these aims, we will:
- Publicise contact points for all services and ensure that relevant staff are accessible within normal office hours for information and advice
- Reply promptly to enquiries, whether by e-mail, phone or letter
- Promote the use of ICT as appropriate for the improved delivery of products and services
- Use plain English or Welsh in all instructions and guidance
- Share appropriate information about our activities with our customers in a timely manner
Qualification specifications, related materials, guidance and training
- Issue specifications on our websites once accredited or approved by the relevant regulator
- For all new specifications, we will provide specimen question papers, mark schemes, and appropriate training for centres
- Provide past examination papers, marking schemes and examiners' reports following each examination series
- Provide support materials and CPD training as appropriate during the life of our specifications
- Present clear information to centre staff in relation to examaminations and assessment administration
- Issue results and certificates in accordance with published dates
- Process post results services within the times stipulated for the various services offered
- Publish a schedule of fees for all services provided
- Adhere to the WJEC Welsh Language Scheme, in accordance with requirements of the 1993 Welsh Language Act
- Provide Welsh-medium specifications for all qualifications approved by Welsh Government/Qualifications Wales
- Provide Welsh-medium question papers for candidates entered through the medium of Welsh
- Produce circulars, guidelines, administrative booklets and certificates bilingually
- Provide a fully bilingual website, and respond to Welsh-medium correspondence and enquiries in Welsh
The quality of services provided is measured in a number of ways:
- WJEC conducts a review of the summer examinations series, which is reported to the Board of Directors and discussed at our advisory group meetings.
- Through customer service surveys, WJEC periodically seeks the views of centres about the range, quality and delivery of services provided.
- Centres are invited to comment on each year's question papers. Comments are collated and considered by the relevant Question Paper Evaluation Committee (QPEC) for the following year's examinations.
- Each year the regulators (Qualifications Wales in Wales, Ofqual in England and CCEA in Northern Ireland) publish details of the performance of all awarding bodies against a range of performance indicators (issuing of results, the number of enquiries about results and the completion of re-mark services within the times set, etc.).
- We review the number and nature of complaints received, as outlined in our complaints policy and these feed into our continuous improvement cycle, as appropriate.
Suggestions for improvements to WJEC services are always welcome. A list of useful contact points is given below.
If this response is not considered satisfactory, the complaint about WJEC service will be considered by an independent member of staff not connected with the issue concerned.
General enquiries about services:
245 Western Avenue, Cardiff, CF5 2YX | www.wjec.co.uk | 029 2026 5000
Enquiries about post-results services:
Enquiries about Welsh-medium services:
Siân Llewellyn Jones, Principal Manager (Welsh Medium)
(029) 2026 5162 firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries about partnerships and business development:
Hugh Lester, Partnership Executive
(029) 2026 5385 email@example.com
Administrative enquiries relating to:
A level: 029 2026 5148/5149/5336 firstname.lastname@example.org
GCSE: 029 2026 5133/5154 email@example.com
CPD: 029 2026 5018/5024 firstname.lastname@example.org
Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification: 029 2026 5010 email@example.com
Entry Level and Functional Skills: 029 2026 5180 firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries: 029 2026 5193/194 email@example.com