Film Studies GCE AS/A (from 2009)
GCE Film Studies (Legacy) Examiners' Report Summer 2017Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The Summer 2017 Principal Examiners' reports provide feedback on this Summer's examination series. The reports include helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next examination series.
We are pleased to announce that we are the first awarding body to have our reformed AS in Film Studies accredited by Ofqual for first teaching from September 2017 for centres in England.
For centres in Wales: Designated WJEC AS Level Film Studies (for teaching from 2017)
WJEC has developed a reformed AS Level Film Studies qualification, regulated by Ofqual and designated by Qualifications Wales, for teaching from 2017. This qualification meets regulatory requirements in Wales and England.
For centres in England: WJEC Eduqas AS/A level Film Studies Studies (for teaching from 2017)
Through our Eduqas brand, WJEC has developed a reformed AS/A level Film Studies qualification, regulated by Ofqual, for teaching from 2017. This qualification has been designed to meet regulatory requirements in England. The specifications can be found on the Eduqas AS/A level Film Studies page.
Moving Image Awards 2017
The Moving Image Awards, designed in partnership with the British Film Institute, recognises and rewards the UK's most talented young film-makers. Every year, students undertaking WJEC qualifications in Film and Media are invited to submit their work for consideration by our panel of judges.
Other items on this page
4. FM1 – FM4 Resources
2. Sample Scripts and Internally Assessed Work
5. FM3 Small Scale Research Project
3. Key Dates, Bulletins and FAQs
1. Continuing Professional Development
New AS and A-Level Film Studies Specifications - Briefing Sessions: We are running a series of free, half day briefing sessions for the new Eduqas Film Studies Specifications.
The sessions will give an overview of the draft specifications and sample assessment materials including assessment objectives, examination structure and other key areas.
New AS and A-Level Film Studies Specifications - Preparing to Teach: This full day course is designed for teachers who are preparing to teach the Eduqas AS/A Level Film Studies specification for first teaching from September 2017. Each session will look in-depth at the new specification including its assessment objectives, examination structure and other key areas and review sample assessment materials
Current Specification: Join us in London this November for the GCE AS/A level Film Studies CPD course for teachers and centres new to the current specification. Book your place by clicking the link below:
2. Sample Scripts and Internal Assessed Work
Examples of scripts with examiner comments giving advice on how these scripts could be improved are available via Online Exam Review
In addition, other examples of controlled assessment (with principal moderator comments and guidance) together with additional marked scripts (without examiner commentary) can be found on WJEC's secure website (for which you need a password provided by your exams officer)
Examples of work from 2015 should be available in the Autumn.
3. Key Dates, Bulletins and FAQs
- Key Dates 2016-2017
- Guidance and FAQs
- Eduqas Film Studies Winter Newsletter 2016
- Bulletin No.8 September 2015
4. Resources on FM1 - FM4
Exploring the US and UK Film Industry (resource for Section A). A new online resource in Gravity, The World's End and independent films Whiplash and The Machine will be available in January 2015.
(4c) FM3 Guidance - produced by Freddie Gaffney (Principal Moderator)
- FM3 Example of Complete Step Outline
- FM3 Step Outline Guidance Structure
- FM3 Screenplay Guidance
- Guidance on Completing 'Aims and Context' FM1 & FM3
Section C - Critical Study
- Fight Club , Happy Together , Les Enfants Du Paradis , Modern Times , Movern Callar , Solaris , Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song , Talk to Her , The Battle of Algiers , Vertigo .
5. FM3 Small Scale Research Project Proposals 2017-2018
The FM3d forms are no longer formally required but you need to provide your moderator (via email) with the following information for each candidate:
- Area of investigation (title)
- Film framework (auteur, genre, etc.)
- Main and related films.
Could all email attachments, if possible, be sent as word documents rather than PDFs.
- Sarah Casey Benyahia, Freddie Gaffney and John White AS Film Studies: The Essential Introduction, and A2 Film Studies: The Essential Introduction, Routledge (2008 & 2009) reflects the current specification.
- Ed Jill Nelmes, Introduction to Film Studies, Routledge (5th edition, 2011)
Useful general books include:
- Nick Lacey, Introduction to Film, Palgrave Macmillan (2005) is a more general book on Film Studies.
- Roy Stafford, The Global Film Book, Routledge (2014)
- Michele Aaron, Spectatorship: The Power of Looking On, Wallflower Press (2007)
Books on individual films, film topics and skills:
- Danny Powell, Studying British Cinema: The 1960s
- Eddie Dyja, Studying British Cinema: The 1990s
- John Fitzgerald, Studying British Cinema: 1999-2009
- Mark Ramey, Studying Fight Club
- Freddie Gaffney, On Screenwriting
- Emily Hughes, Studying Talk to Her
Other useful books which have material relevant to the new specification, but which were originally written for the previous, pre-2008 specification are:
- Tanya Jones, A Level Film Studies for WJEC, Hodder Arnold (2005)
- Jo Harland & Nick Timmons, AS FILM Studies, Nelson Thornes Ltd (2006)
For further information, please contact:
Rebecca Ellis - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5195
Jodie Mearing-Lane- Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5101