Latin Level 1 / 2 Certificate
Level 1 and Level 2 Certificates in Latin Language, Latin Language & Roman Civilisation and Latin Literature
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, qualifications in both England and Wales which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both countries.
The WJEC Certificates in Latin provide flexible and motivating courses which can be used as 'stepping stones' or as a complete alternative to GCSE.
- There are separate Certificates for Latin Language and Latin Literature
- They are fully accredited until at least 2016 and each Certificate carries the same number of performance points as a GCSE
- Both levels are graded A* to C
- The Level 2 Certificate in Latin Language (with or without a Roman Civilisation element) counts as a language subject in the English Baccalaureate (EBacc)
- As the Certificates are unitised, they offer the flexibility of unit entries in different sessions
- The Core Language papers are available in both January and May/June
- There is the option of Controlled Assessment in both Roman Civilisation and Literature.
- Specimen Assessment Materials
- Subscribe to be kept informed of news and developments in this subject
- The topics for the Roman Civilisation units to be examined in 2013-2015 are The Roman Army and Entertainment and Leisure. The 'set' source materials for Level 1 are available for The Roman Army and Entertainment and Leisure. The Teaching Support Booklets for Level 2 are available on the CSCP website.
- The texts for the Latin Literature units to be examined in 2014-2016, along with the accompanying vocabulary, can be found on both the WJEC and CSCP websites.
- The Cambridge Schools Classics Project provides a very extensive range of high-quality support materials for all units of the Certificates and has a bank of teacher-generated resource materials.
Grade Boundaries (UMS / Raw Marks)
- Raw and UMS grade boundary information for past series is available. The grade boundary data for summer 2013 for all units can be seen there.
- Latin Performance Points
- Presentation explaining the use of item level data from WJEC examinations (N.B. the data are available for some units (eg Level 2 Core Language) only)
Continuing Professional Development
- Face-to-face CPD meetings are not available in this subject at the moment because of regulatory requirements. Examination review will be available online. A presentation giving details of this provision is available.
- Teachers are able to download the support materials from the CPD meeting in November 2012 from the secure website. Select 'Resources PDF Download' from the left-hand column, then 'CPD Materials' and then Latin from the subject list. Items 11-13 contain exemplars of candidates' Controlled Assessment work.
For further information, please contact:
Alan Clague - Subject Officer
Matt Oatley - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5054
Latin Language & Roman Civilisation Examiners' Report June 2014Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The Summer 2014 Principal Examiners' Report, providing feedback on the Summer 2014 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.