Latin Level 1 / 2 Certificate
Level 1 and Level 2 Certificates in Latin Language, Latin Language & Roman Civilisation and Latin Literature
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, qualifications in both England and Wales which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both countries.
The WJEC Certificates in Latin provide flexible and motivating courses which can be used as 'stepping stones' or as a complete alternative to GCSE.
- There are separate Certificates for Latin Language and Latin Literature
- They are fully accredited until and including 2017 and each Certificate carries the same number of performance points as a GCSE
- Both levels are graded A* to C
- The Level 2 Certificate in Latin Language (with or without a Roman Civilisation element) counts as a language subject in the English Baccalaureate (EBacc)
- As the Certificates are unitised, they offer the flexibility of unit entries in different sessions
- The Core Language papers are available in both January and May/June
- There is the option of Controlled Assessment in both Roman Civilisation and Literature.
- Subscribe to be kept informed of news and developments in this subject
Accredited WJEC Eduqas GCSE (9-1) Latin (for teaching from 2016)
Through our Eduqas brand, WJEC has developed a reformed GCSE (9-1) Latin qualification, regulated by Ofqual, for teaching from 2016. This qualification meets regulatory requirements in England and has been accredited by Ofqual. The specification can be found on the Eduqas GCSE (9-1) Latin page.
For centres in Wales: WJEC Eduqas GCSE (9-1) Latin (for teaching from 2016)
Through our Eduqas brand, WJEC has developed a reformed GCSE (9-1) Latin qualification, regulated by Ofqual, for teaching from 2016. This qualification is designed to meet regulatory requirements in England. The accredited specification can be found on the Eduqas GCSE (9-1) Latin page.
Qualifications Wales is considering whether GCSE qualifications developed for use in England can be made available in Wales, where no reformed specification is being developed for use in Wales. We understand that it is Qualifications Wales' intention to make these GCSEs available in Wales, however, details are yet to be confirmed. We will provide an update when we have more information.
Grade Boundaries (UMS / Raw Marks)
- Raw and UMS grade boundary information for past series is available. The grade boundary data for summer 2013 for all units can be seen there.
- Latin Performance Points
- Presentation explaining the use of item level data from WJEC examinations (N.B. the data are available for some units (eg Level 2 Core Language) only)
Continuing Professional Development
- Face-to-face CPD meetings are not available in this subject at the moment because of regulatory requirements. Examination review will be available online. A presentation giving details of this provision is available.
- Teachers are able to download the support materials from the CPD meeting in November 2012 from the secure website. Select 'Resources PDF Download' from the left-hand column, then 'CPD Materials' and then Latin from the subject list. Items 11-13 contain exemplars of candidates' Controlled Assessment work.
For further information, please contact:
Alan Clague - Subject Officer
Matt Oatley - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5054
Latin Literature Examiners' Report Summer 2016Download
Latin Language & Roman Civilisation Examiners' Report Summer 2016Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The Summer 2016 Principal Examiners' reports provide feedback on this Summer's examination series. The reports include helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next examination series.